Ben arrivato visitatore!
[ Salta il menu e vai direttamente ai contenuti ]
Se vuoi conoscere le ultime notizie del portale,
clicca il seguente link:
Patronal feast-day of S.Lucia
In 1465 was constructed the Monastery of Dominican Reverend Fathers consecrated to S.Lucia, patron of the village. This is the first documented information about the veneration for the Saint of Syracuse in Savoca.
It’s right to suppose that the monumental church of S.Lucia, annexed to the above-mentioned monastery, whose collapse should be date back to the 1880, was constructed at least one century before: it had nine altars and five burials, and it faced the "Piazza S.Lucia" (S.Lucia Square), easily identifiable with Municipio square.
The feast of S.Lucia occurs on 13 December and in this date in Savoca take place solemn religious ceremonies, that once were preceded by an important fair. The patronal feast-day, however, always occurs on the second Sunday of August. It is organized by the homonymous brotherhood, whose origin dates back to the Sixteenth Century, and it is presided by a pro-tempore "Governatore" (governor).
The feast, drawing every year thousands of tourists and devout persons, consists of two moments:
- the solemn procession of the simulacrum of the Saint along the alleys of the historical centre;
- the representation in costumes of some scenes of the martyrdom to which S.Lucia was subject by the roman governor Pascasio, about 303 A.D.
Actually the main characters of the representation are:
1. the “Lucia”, interpreted by a white dressed little girl carried on his shoulder by a man;
2. "u Diavulazzu" or "Virseriu" (the devil), red dressed; he wears a wooden mask of old and legendary provenance;
3. the “Giudei”, roman soldiers;
4. the drummer, in costume;
5. two cows decorated with some ribbons and ridded by the “bifolco” (a man in costume of the time representing a peasant); tied to the cows there is a rope, drawn by the “popolaccio” (the crowd).
At the end of the performance the escape of the cows, of the “diavulazzu” and of the “Giudei”, all representing the “evil”, evidences the victory of the good (the “Lucia”) on the evil.
Feast-day of S.Rosalia and fair of S.Francesco from Paola
The feast-day of S.Rosalia takes place in the hamlet of Rina on the first Sunday of September.
The old local fair of S.Francesco from Paola, taking place on the first Sunday of May, dates back to the time when the fairs were really local feasts, allowing farmers to exchange products and animals and giving them one of the rare opportunity to having fun.
Way of the Cross
It dates back to the Fifteenth Century but it was restored by Jesuits in 1735.
The course begins from Capuchins’ Monastery and winds along the ways of the historical centre, until the top of the Calvario mount, where there is the church consecrated to the "Beata Vergine dei sette dolori e della Santa Croce" (Blessed Virgin of Seven Sorrows and of the Holy Cross). A peculiarity of the Way of the Cross are the stations, partially hollowed out in the rock.
The whole route and the Church has been recently entirely restored.
Along the route, really evocative, takes place every year a spectacular representation of the Passion of Christ.
“The godfather”- Vitelli Bar
In 1971 some famous scenes of the well-known film “The godfather” were shot in Savoca.
Were taken S.Nicolò church, the ways of the historical centre and the Trimarchi palace, where was reproduced the Vitelli bar, mentioned in the novel of Mario Puzo.
Thanks to the evocative places and to the bar in particular (where the sign "Bar Vitelli" still exists), still maintaining the architectural and aesthetic features of the period during which the scenes were shot, and to some people that made walking-on parts in the film, Savoca today is the destination of the international tourism: there are many tour operators offering the “tour of the godfather”, also including the village of Forza D'Agrò, to their customers.